Thursday, February 21, 2013

On getting back into...everything.

The first time I heard the term "dependapotamus" was about a month prior to leaving the military. You would think I'd have heard it a lot sooner, but I didn't. I remember being simultaneously amused and disgusted by the term. I knew the kind of people that the term describes: the overweight woman waddling through the BX, who has barely come out of hibernation from on-base housing to make a quick trip out for essentials. I swore right then I'd never become that.


In fact, the first time I heard the term, the context was, "Don't become a dependapotamus."

I'm doing my absolute best to avoid it. Sure, I took a bit of a break from working out upon my separation. That's normal, and it's hard to stay motivated when suddenly, you don't have a fitness test looming over you. But I'm happy to say that I'm getting back into it.

"It" being the following:
  • My jeans.
  • Working out.
  • Eating healthy.
  • A job. Well - the job search, anyway.
This week has been successful. I've managed to get in all three of my planned runs, and I'm starting to build up my push-ups and sit-ups again. Keeping it simple. (So that I don't quit.)

The best part is, my husband is in on eating healthy with me. So I can cook for both of us without feeling like I need to make two separate meals. We were out of town on Monday, and I've been taking our dogs to puppy training at Petsmart on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so tonight was my first opportunity to cook for the two of us in a little while. I'm proud of my effort.

I cooked a Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken recipe that I found via Cooking Light. Aside from needing to adjust the cooking times (it was RAW in the center when I first pulled it out), the recipe was perfect. I served it with a little bit of rice and some sugar snap peas. It was so delicious that I forgot to take a photo until it was nearly all gone.


My husband loved it too. I can pat myself on the back for being a pretty good wife today. And taking care of my own needs, too.

I know I've only addressed of two of the things I've been working on - but I'm only in the mood to discuss successes today. I'll talk about the J-word another day.

What successes (small or large) are you celebrating today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...